The purpose of this section is to ensure a consistent judging process is followed at all VEX U, VRC, and VIQC Qualifying Events, the planning and execution of which are led by adult individuals known as Event Partners. This section describes the roles and responsibilities of the Judges, Judge Advisor, and Event Partner in the Judging process.
In VEX U, VRC, and VIQC Qualifying Events, teams of students showcase their knowledge and skills in designing, building, and programming a robot. Students demonstrate their knowledge of the Engineering Design Process by documenting their design process in an Engineering Notebook.
Students exhibit their driving skills and game strategy during match play and skills challenges. All these activities are to be completed by the students with minimal adult assistance. Students must make the decisions, complete the work, and demonstrate their learning and knowledge to Judges for their team to qualify for Judged Awards.
- Must have passed Judge Certification Course
- Organize and oversee the overall judging process at an event
- Facilitate deliberations and deliver final award winners to Event Partner
- The Judge Advisor must be an adult (age 20 or older and not a part of a VRC team). For VEX U events, the Judge Advisor must be 21 or older
- Judges evaluate teams to determine eligibility for Judged Awards
- Judges who interact directly with students work in groups
- For all VRC events, Judges must be adults. Anyone age 18 or older and not a high school student is considered an adult for VRC judging.
- For local VIQC qualifying events, adults are preferred as Judges, but high school students may be paired with Judges who are adults. However, at events that qualify teams directly to VEX World Championship, all Judges must be adults Anyone age 18 or older and not a high school student is considered an adult for VIQC judging
- For all VEX U events, Judges must be adults age 21 or older
- The Event Partner oversees the planning and operation of the entire event, and provides support for the Judges and Judge Advisor
- The Event Partner is an Adult over the age of 18 that is not a student on a VRC team
- The Event Partner and Judge Advisor must be two different eligible people – an Event Partner may not serve as a Judge Advisor at their own event, and Event Partners may not recommend or assign Judged Awards to any team
- The Event Partner and the Judge Advisor should work together to come up with a schedule for judging teams at the event, and to ensure there are adequate Judges for the event. It is recommended to have 2 Judges for every 8-10 teams at an event, if judging in person
- It is helpful that some, if not all, Judges have a background in STEM or robotics in order to evaluate the more technical awards. Good sources of volunteers can be local STEM-based companies or sponsors, local colleges, VEX U teams, and program alumni