During a VRC tournament, team rankings are automatically updated by the VEX Tournament Manager software based on results and scores from matches in the Qualification round. VRC teams are ranked based on their WP, AP, and SP in qualification matches.
Win Points (WP) are the first basis of ranking teams. Each team receives 0-3 WPs for each Qualification match. Unless a team is DQd, both teams on an alliance always earn the same number of WPs for a match.
- 1 WP is awarded at the end of the autonomous period for each team in an alliance that earns an Autonomous Win Point (AWP) by completing all AWP tasks defined in the game manual. Both alliances can earn this WP in the same match if both alliances complete all tasks.
- 2 WPs are awarded for winning a Qualification match.
- 1 WP is awarded for tying a Qualification match.
- 0 WP are awarded for losing a Qualification match.
Autonomous Points (AP) are the second basis of ranking teams. If multiple teams have the same number of WPs, those teams are ranked according to APs. An alliance who wins the autonomous bonus by scoring the most points during the autonomous period of a Qualification match earns 6 APs. In the event of a tie, both alliances will receive three 3 APs.
Strength of Schedule Points
Strength of Schedule Points (SPs) are the third basis of ranking teams. If multiple teams have the same number of both WPs and APs, those teams are ranked according to their SPs. SPs are equivalent to the score of the losing alliance in a Qualification match. In the event of a tie, both alliances receive SPs equal to the tied score. If both teams on an alliance are Disqualified, the teams on the not-Disqualified alliance will receive their own score as SPs for that Match.
Other Ranking Factors
A robot or a student member of the team must report to the field for the team’s assigned match. If no student team members report to the field, the team will be considered a “no-show” and receive zero (0) WPs, APs, and SPs.
When a team receives a Disqualification in a Qualification match, they receive zero (0) Win Points, Autonomous Win Points, Autonomous Points, and Strength of Schedule Points.
- If the team receiving the Disqualification is on the winning alliance, then teams on the opposing alliance who are not also Disqualified will receive the win for the match and 2 WPs.
- If the match was a tie, then each team on the opposing alliance (the alliance that did not receive the Disqualification) will receive the win for the match and 2 WPs.
- If both alliances have a team receiving a Disqualification, then all non-Disqualified Teams will receive a tie for the match and 1 WP.
- AWPs are not given to teams that receive a Disqualification, and are not automatically awarded to the opposing alliance.
Extra Matches for Schedule Balance
In some cases, a team will be asked to play an additional Qualification match to allow each team at the event to be ranked for the same number of events. The extra match will be identified on the match schedule with an asterisk and will not impact the team’s ranking, WPs, APs, or SPs.
Team Ranking Calculations
Team rankings at an event are determined throughout Qualification matches through steps 1-6 below. If teams tie in a ranking calculation, the next calculation is used to break that tie and determine their final rankings.
- Average Win Points (WP divided by the number of matches already played by the team)
- Average Autonomous Points (AP divided by the number of matches already played by the team)
- Average Strength of Schedule Points (SP divided by the number of matches already played by the team)
- Highest match score
- Second-highest match score
- Random electronic draw